The annual Don't Guess…Soil Test! program, co-sponsored by Michigan State University Extension, Michigan Water Stewardship Program, Southeastern Oakland County Water Authority and local retailers is Saturday, April 2 through Sunday, May 1.
Through this special program, gardeners can obtain a soil nutrient and organic matter analysis through the Michigan State University Soil and Plant Nutrient Lab for the special price of $19 per sample. The price includes delivery of the soil sample to the MSU laboratory as well as a customized fertilizer recommendation.
With the test, gardeners can identify nutrients already in the soil and identify appropriate fertilizer options. Over-application of fertilizers can pollute local lakes and rivers, reduce plant quality, and waste money. Visit www.oakgov.com/msu for instructions on how to take a sample.
Pick up a soil testing kit at the following retailers:
- MSU Extension office, 2nd floor of the North Office Building - 26East- Pontiac
- Auburn Oaks- Rochester Hills
- Bordine Nursery- Rochester Hills & Clarkston
- English Gardens- West Bloomfield & Royal Oak
- Glenda’s Garden Center- Novi,
- Goldner Walsh- Pontiac
- Hamilton’s of Ortonville
- Wojo’s Greenhouse- Ortonville and Lake Orion
- Mulligan’s Landscape and Garden Center-White Lake
- Oxford Farm and Garden-Oxford
- Shades of Green- Rochester Hills